Thursday, September 13, 2012

So far...

I returned to classes a couple weeks ago. I have four classes and two instructors...two classes taught by each instructor...just the way things fell this semester. The one teacher I've had three times before. She's very organized, I know exactly what she wants done and I do it. No problem...well, other than I choked during her last final with all the clackety-clacking of my classmates working away on their computers.

My other two classes are stressing me. I didn't know this until last week but the original instructor who was to teach both these classes died over the summer. This left the technology department scrambling to find another instructor to teach the course. So, the new instructor, who I have not had before, has not taught these courses before. There's an element of disorganization that I'm having difficulty coping with. In the instructor's effort to accommodate us and the classes not going as originally intended he's being laid back about assignments. The class schedule is bizarre to say the least. We meet for 3 hours on various days as noted on his syllabus. There's no routine to it at all. The first week the one class met on Tuesday and the other on Wednesday in the same time slot, not the second week for either and then they seem staggered for a bit, one week only the Tuesday class the other week only the Wednesday but it doesn't stay that way.  Assignments are listed due on the Syllabus but then he tells us in class to bring them next time so we go past the due date. The online calendar is "yelling" at me that my assignments are overdue but he says it's ok he'll take care of it. I'm not even sure he knows my name to credit me for doing the labwork. The online worksheet was vague and due to it's non-specific language I got questions wrong. I need things to be very precise for me to be able to understand. I'm very literal in my interpretation. I get hung up on things if they're not clearly explained. It's like "water"...well, it's H2O technically but there's really other stuff in there too so which are you talking about? If I can't determine which by surrounding information I just get hung up on it.

I guess I need to become a computer programmer. I'd probably be a wiz with syntax. Meanwhile I'm trying to cope with humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment